Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Why Should I Read Your Blog?

Since I was young I have been fascinated with the idea of behavior change. At age 10 I was inspired by Benjamin Franklin's attempts to become perfect in thirteen areas. In middle school I created sticker charts and tracked 10 goals, which included exercising, practicing the piano and French horn, reading my scriptures, and showering (yes, that was a goal). Like Mary Poppins, I managed to be practically perfect...but only during the two weeks of Winter Break when I didn't have to go to school, do homework, attend youth group, or do anything else besides strive for perfection. Alas, if I didn't have to work, I would have time to become perfect.


In high school I would set goals for church, which included being kinder and more patient with my siblings. I would also read all of the self-help books I could get my hands on, on topics such as time management and organization. In college I loved my class on behavior change theories. During my full-time Mormon missionary service in Peru, I would create goals every six weeks and monitor them weekly. My companion and I discovered that we would be successful in some goals and completely fail in others. I continue to set goals; sometimes I fail and sometimes I succeed. I continue to learn a lot in the process.


My purpose in keeping this blog is multifold. As I reflect upon my own life experiences, I will share stories and insights that might prove useful to others in their quests to improve, to progress, and to live life to the fullest. I will also include insights from books and other sources that have helped me in my understanding and personal journey. Finally, this blog provides for me accountability, an important aspect of behavior change. By knowing I will have to hold myself accountable to an online audience, I will increase my chances of successfully meeting my goals. So, let the learning begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment